for personal home defense
The staff was very helpful, and professional. Would definitely recommend you visit Black Wing.
This class is designed to quickly bring students to a high level of proficiency in the art of using a shotgun for personal or home defense.
• Selecting the shotgun, ammunition, and accessories
• Buckshot patterning for optimal performance
• Rapid target acquisition
• Methods to reduce the recoil of the shotgun
• Proper shooting techniques
**Class from 10am-6pm | **Students must pre-register and provide lunch
About Greg Ellifritz
- Greg is a 20-year veteran police officer, spending 13 years as the full time tactical training officer for his central Ohio agency. In that position, he was responsible for developing and instructing all of the in service training for a 54-officer police department. Prior to his training position, he served as patrol officer, bike patrol officer, bike patrol coordinator, sniper and field training officer for his agency.
- He has been an active instructor for the Tactical Defense Institute since 2001 and a lead instructor for TDI’s ground fighting, knife fighting, active shooter, impact weapons, and extreme close quarters shooting classes.
Greg holds instructor, master instructor, or armorer certifications in more than 75 different weapons systems, defensive tactics programs, and law enforcement specialty areas. In addition to these instructor certifications, Greg has trained with many of the leading firearms and edged weapons instructors in the country.
Greg has been an adjunct instructor for the Ohio Peace Officer’s Training Academy, teaching firearms, defensive tactics, bike patrol, knife defense and physical fitness topics. He has taught firearms and self defense classes at the national and international level through the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors, The American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers, Rangemaster Tactical Conference, and Ohio Association of Chiefs of Police.
He has a Master’s degree in Public Policy and Management and has written for several publications and websites including: ‘The Firearms Instructor”, “Ohio Police Chief”, “Combat Handguns”, Survivalblog.com, “Concealed Carry Magazine”, Primedia’s “Personal & Home Defense Annual”, and “American Handgunner”.
Pre Requisite – Student must provide defensive style shotgun
Skill Level – Beginner-Experienced
Range – 8 hours
Classroom – N/A
- Reliable pump action or semi-automatic shotgun (barrel lengths under 20 inches are preferable, shotgun must have a stock)
- Sling for shotgun if possible
- Eye/ear protection
- Method of storing extra shells on your shotgun or on your person (side saddle, dump bag, pockets, etc.)
- Clothing suitable for outdoor weather
Ammo – 125 rounds of birdshot
Offered – Semiannually
Class Size – 20 maximum
Cost – $175
Click on any of the dates below to see availablity and to reserve a spot.