This is a great place and the staff is super-helpful!
This class focuses on carrying and deploying a short barreled, folding stocked firearm from a backpack or sling bag. Students will practice the consistent deployment of their rifle from different positions as well as work on improving their speed to first shots.
Course work will entail:
- Quick deployment and shooting from a bag
- Transitioning from rifle to pistol
- Movement drills
- Safe carry methods and ways to quickly access and use the rifle in emergency situations
- Discussion on the selection of firearms and cases based on environment
- Discussion on ways to avoid being shot by first responders
About Your Covert Rifle Instructors
- Greg is a 20-year veteran police officer, spending 13 years as the full time tactical training officer for his central Ohio agency. In that position, he was responsible for developing and instructing all of the in service training for a 54-officer police department. Prior to his training position, he served as patrol officer, bike patrol officer, bike patrol coordinator, sniper and field training officer for his agency.
- He has been an active instructor for the Tactical Defense Institute since 2001 and a lead instructor for TDI’s ground fighting, knife fighting, active shooter, impact weapons, and extreme close quarters shooting classes.
- Greg holds instructor, master instructor, or armorer certifications in more than 75 different weapons systems, defensive tactics programs, and law enforcement specialty areas. In addition to these instructor certifications, Greg has trained with many of the leading firearms and edged weapons instructors in the country.
- Greg has been an adjunct instructor for the Ohio Peace Officer’s Training Academy, teaching firearms, defensive tactics, bike patrol, knife defense and physical fitness topics. He has taught firearms and self defense classes at the national and international level through the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors, The American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers, Rangemaster Tactical Conference, and Ohio Association of Chiefs of Police.
- He has a Master’s degree in Public Policy and Management and has written for several publications and websites including: ‘The Firearms Instructor”, “Ohio Police Chief”, “Combat Handguns”, Survivalblog.com, “Concealed Carry Magazine”, Primedia’s “Personal & Home Defense Annual”, and “American Handgunner".
Pre Requisite – Students should understand rifle and handgun handling principles including loading, unloading, malfunction clearance, and safe shooting practices. Students should also be able to safely draw from a holster and fire their handguns one-handed.
Skill Level – Experienced, students should have moderate experience and training with both rifles and handguns. If you are unsure if you are prepared, call for a consultation.
- Concealable rifle or braced pistol (centerfire rifle, centerfire pistol or rimfire, SBRs okay)
- Backpack or bag in which the gun fits
- Sturdy belt and holster (AIWB, IWB or OWB)
- Extra rifle and handgun magazines
- Eye and ear protection
Range – 8 hours
Classroom – N/A
Ammo – 300 rounds for rifle & 50 rounds for handgun
Offered – Once Per Year
Class Size – 14 maximum
Cost – $250
Click on any of the dates below to see availablity and to reserve a spot.