defensive knife skills – address realistic situations
There are other shooting ranges I can go to (I even pass one on my way to blackwing). But the staff there is top notch!
This course presents students with skills needed to effectively utilize a folding or fixed blade knife as a defensive tool to repel a lethal force attack. This class is designed to address realistic situations. The course introduces simple, effective movements that are easy to learn, court defensible and work well under stress.
• Choosing a defensive knife
• Carry locations
• Drawing & opening the folding knife under stress
• Basic cutting angles and targets
• 3 ways to use a knife to stop an attack
• Escaping life-threatening physical attacks with a knife
• Transitioning between knife & pistol
• Weapon retention using the knife
** This class is held from 10am-6pm**Training knives will be provided. Please bring a lunch with you.
- Greg is a 20-year veteran police officer, spending 13 years as the full time tactical training officer for his central Ohio agency. In that position, he was responsible for developing and instructing all of the in service training for a 54-officer police department. Prior to his training position, he served as patrol officer, bike patrol officer, bike patrol coordinator, sniper and field training officer for his agency.
- He has been an active instructor for the Tactical Defense Institute since 2001 and a lead instructor for TDI’s ground fighting, knife fighting, active shooter, impact weapons, and extreme close quarters shooting classes.
- Greg holds instructor, master instructor, or armorer certifications in more than 75 different weapons systems, defensive tactics programs, and law enforcement specialty areas. In addition to these instructor certifications, Greg has trained with many of the leading firearms and edged weapons instructors in the country.
- Greg has been an adjunct instructor for the Ohio Peace Officer’s Training Academy, teaching firearms, defensive tactics, bike patrol, knife defense and physical fitness topics. He has taught firearms and self defense classes at the national and international level through the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors, The American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers, Rangemaster Tactical Conference, and Ohio Association of Chiefs of Police.
- He has a Master’s degree in Public Policy and Management and has written for several publications and websites including: ‘The Firearms Instructor”, “Ohio Police Chief”, “Combat Handguns”, Survivalblog.com, “Concealed Carry Magazine”, Primedia’s “Personal & Home Defense Annual”, and “American Handgunner".
Pre Requisite – None
Skill Level – Intermediate
Equipment – Provided
Classroom – 8 hours
Range – N/A
Ammo – N/A
Offered – Semiannually
Class Size – 20
Cost – $225
Upcoming Defensive Knife Courses
Click on any of the dates below to see availablity and to reserve a spot.